Below are some answers to last week’s Q&A on Facebook.
1. Marisol R.: I’m having issues nailing that focus when there are multiple people in a shot! Any tips?
Close your aperture. For a big group shot, it’s safer to have it at f/5.6 or a higher number.
2. Jennifer G.: I’m stuck in the no booking zone – I feel like every single person wants ‘the cheapest’ photographer out there. I value my art and know that I’m better than that and my current prices are still under the average market price in my area. I want to be able to quit my full-time job next year and I can’t do that without booking x weddings… should I book at a lower price until tons of weddings are on the books…or do I stick it out and wait?
I would book a certain number of weddings at what people can pay (maybe 10?) before starting to turn people away. Unfortunately paying bills and making money is necessary to function in this world. The transition to raising your prices can take time, maybe a year or two.
3. Christine C.: How do you decide if you can tackle a wedding on your own or if you need a 2nd shooter?
I always have a 2nd shooter unless it’s 10 people or less. I think to do a good job you need at least 2 people. It’s worth the investment!
4. Mawiyah J.: Any good tips on how to go about becoming a second shooter for a wedding photographer when you have no previous WEDDING experience?
Ask if you can come along as the 3rd or 4th assistant. The duties at first will probably not involve any shooting. From there you can work your way up!
5. Lydia C.: What do you do when you feel stuck? Not just photography, but…in general?
Either 1. Be active and do new things to keep a forward momentum, or 2. Sit still and allow myself to feel stuck. It happens. Can’t always fight it. I think it’s important to remember that it’s ok to “not know.”
This Post Has 2 Comments
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question on Friday – I greatly appreciate it! and couldn’t agree more re: having to pay bills and run a business…This was the extra oomph I needed to hear to suck it up and do what I need to do 🙂 Thank you SO much!!
Hello………………………Pls help me